Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul


via Facebook wall posts:

Tony (Danny's brother): just wondering, is someone gonna review the new Oasis album for Charz? Before even hearing it, im afraid they missed the bus, if you know what i mean. They had there time to become the next Beatles, or Blur for that matter, but unless its a brilliant album , which is a possibility, a minute possibility, I expect it to be dated, and not in a good way. Lemme know what you think. Maybe ill give it a listen myself

Me:
You know, that's a good question. I saw a commercial for their new single yesterday and it actually wasn't bad at all. I was thinking the same as you...that they've been pretty irrelevant for the past 6 or 8 years, but this new song was pretty good. That said, I still don't know if I'm compelled to listen. If you want to tackle it, or write anything else for charz2k for that matter, let me know and I'll give you access.

Tony:
you know what, whens the last time you saw a commercial for a new album that was any good? They really need to use TV to get that information out? A little low if you ask me. The last album I saw a commercial for was Nickleback or some bullshit. Before I even listen to the album I'm gonna be biased about it, if I was to review it, which I appreciate the invitation to, I'm gonna be a little vexed by it. So if you don't mind that, I think I could review it for you...maybe, I'm still not sure if I'm worthy enough

There ya go, Tony, you're worthy. I listened to this album and after a few minutes my mind started wandering and I wished I was listening to Definitely Maybe (not because the new album reminded me of DM, but because the mediocrity reminded me of when Oasis was worthy of any praise they were given). I'm not in middle school anymore, but Definitely Maybe is still awesome. I found a copy at a thrift store the other day and bought it, even though I already own it, because I left it in Houston. That's how good it is. This new one? Well, you know that part of High Fidelity where Jack Black's punctual, lovable, and ever critical character Barry gets all up on John Cusack for listening to "old sad bastard music " (which is really Belle & Sebastian, who are awesome) and Rob Gordon replies that he just wants to listen to something he can ignore? WELL, do I have the album for you!

Oh yeah. Tony was totally right on that tv commercial thing. Good albums are never advertised on tv.

Bears: 4.0. I should have known that this album would live up to expectations. I should have known enough to ignore it.

Anti-bears: 3.1. Once you get into it, it practically ignores itself. Also, this inspired me to listen to Definitely Maybe for the first time in a while. You lose some, you win some.

No comments: