Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Sea and Cake, 9/15 - Madison, WI

I think I need a haircut. My hair is getting kind of long, and while it's still manageable, soon it won't be. Also, long hair makes you want to rock out, and once you're as old as I am, you don't have time for rocking out and the long hair just makes you feel even lamer.

Archer Prewitt has a pretty nice haircut. It's simple and short and kind of pushed up in a kind of stylish yuppie faux-hawk, and even though his hair line is mildly receding, it works for him. My hairline is receding, so I think such a haircut might work for me as well. If only it were as easy as telling the hair stylist (the term "barber" scares me) that I want my hair cut like Archer Prewitt's, I'd go in tomorrow and that would be that. Since it's not nearly that easy, I'll spend the next week or two figuring out how to put it into words or finding a picture that captures it just right.

The Sea and Cake draws people with all kinds of haircuts, but none that I saw in the crowd are worth discussing. Actually, Archer Prewitt had the best haircut in the joint, which makes sense since he was on stage, front and center. Whoever decides where to put people on stage did a great job. Give that guy a raise!

Enough about haircuts. What's with the old people dancing? I swear I didn't see the sign that says "You must be this old to dance" with a picture of Candace Bergen on it, but shit, those old people were boogeying down. Truth be told, they were pretty obnoxious and extremely hilarious, but damn if they weren't at least doing a great job of pretending to know what was going on!

Some of these older people folks looked like they had been pulled off the street in some sort of outreach program dedicated to helping the homeless attend indie rock shows and drink PBR for free or reduced rate. This one scruffy senior citizen to the left of me reminded me of the crazy wino in Superbad who called Fogel "McMuffin". Disregarding his obvious cluelessness with regards to who was playing (and probably where he was), he outhipstered EVERYONE at the show by unironically wearing a John Deere hat. Fuckin' A!

Overall, it was a pretty decent show. After yelling at them for what seemed like an hour (but was probably only five seconds) to play "Parasol", Charlie got his wish during the encore, and everyone left happy. I'm going to get back to this Beulah documentary I bought yesterday, so stay tuned for future updates.

Rating:
Anti-bears: 3.8
Bears: 2

No comments: